Yes, the best one. The one you eat. I actually stayed far away from dates for a long time due to their high sugar content. Mike introduced me back to them when we were in Dubai a few years ago. It's basically the national delicacy there. They stuff them with nuts, coat them in chocolate. Delicious, yes, but not exactly the healthiest preparation.
So I revisited the mighty date. And let's be honest, they're pretty awesome. They add the perfect sweetness to my favorite muffin recipe. They're wonderful when they're chunked up in smoothies. A single date is an easy pick me up after a sweaty morning yoga class when I didn't have a chance to eat breakfast. When we were in NYC, we were inspired to blend together dates and nut butter. Since I'm back in Miami for a bit and in my own kitchen (yay!) it was one of the first things I wanted to try out. So easy. It took 2 minutes, literally.
Nutty Date Recipe
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 cup nut butter (I used almond)
- Slice dates down the center and remove pit.
- Warm up your nut butter slightly. My stove burner was still warm from making breakfast so I warmed the almond butter in a bowl on my stovetop.
- Put nut butter in a pastry bag or ziploc bag (like I did). If you go ziploc, cut a bottom corner off the ziploc bag and squeeze all the nut butter into that corner.
- Use a careful hand and squeeze nut butter into the date.
- Voila, tasty and portable nutty dates. Refrigerate for a colder dating experience.
Notes: Dates with pits are typically softer and more delicious than pitted dates. For this recipe, you're going to be slicing them anyway and it's really easy to remove the pit so I would recommend just going with dates with pits.